So, I had to write a new post today. I know it's only been a few days since my last post, but I felt inspired.
You know those moments when you just feel confident in everything you are doing? Confident that you are in the right place at the right time? I have been feeling that so much these last few days. I had to say goodbye to my kids at Suzy Mothercare on Friday, and it hit me a lot harder than I thought it was going to. As I arrived at the school on my last day, Suzzy brought 2 out newly sewed soccer Jerseys for Hannah and I as a parting gift. It was sewn to be exactly like the ones the students wear every friday in honor of "Sports day". As soon as she gave them to us, she quickly led us to a back room to change. When Hannah and I stepped out of the room to reveal our new attire with the Suzzy Mothercare logo stamped across the chest, it felt like the entire school student body was watching us as we crossed the court yard. They all cheered and started jumping up and down and chanting "You are welcome! You are welcome! You are welcome!" They were so excited to see us in their jersey. Then, I rounded the corner to walk into my classroom for the last time. I had written my students each a note and given them a sucker from home. I read each of their letters to them. I wasn't sure that they actually understood that I was leaving back to America, or even that I am from America, but to my surprise, after I stepped out to take a few pictures with some of the teachers, I walked back into my classroom to find all of my students holding eachother and crying. I asked them what was wrong, and one said "Miss is leaving..." It broke my heart. Of course I started crying also, how could you not? I brought them all close, the children I had spent 8 weeks with getting to know and experiencing so much about their culture. We all stood in a group hug for a few minutes and just cried together. It was a very touching moment I will never forget. I am sure that once I am home, I will think of those kids every day. Soon after arriving, Dela, my taxi driver came to pick me up so I could leave back to Accra. The time went too fast. I sang one last song with the whole school, and took my things. The entire school followed me out to my car as I got in and drove away, many with tears still in their eyes. It was hard to leave, yes, but it makes me feel good knowing I made an impact on the kids I was teaching.
The beginning of this week marks a whole new adventure in Ghana for me. I am now out on my own in a town called Takoradi on the Western side of Ghana along the coastline right next to the beach. So far, it is great here. It is a completely different experience living with Ghanaians instead of with other Americans. I am finding that I enjoy it very much. I went to a Pentecostal church this morning, which was quite a new experience. They had me come up to the front to introduce myself to the entire congregation of around 400 people, and I was the only white person in site. haha. That was a little intimidating. The service was filled with dancing and singing and a lot of "Hallelujahs" and "Praise the Lord" and "Amens!".
I don't have a lot of time to write anymore, but I just wanted to say that I am safe and sound here with Josh's family. They are very hospitable to me. I hope you all are having a wonderful Sabbath!
Marinda!!! Such a good post. Thanks for sharing it!
ReplyDelete